Sunday, September 20, 2009

Makeup Dilemma Finally Solved

The third time was definitely the charm.

The first time was too dramatic. The second was too natural. I was really holding out hope that my third makeup trial would leave me with an easy decision about whether or not to do my makeup myself, and it did.



When I got to the counter, the makeup area was buzzing with people. It was Saturday, and there were plenty of people shopping, not to mention other brides getting their wedding makeup done at the surrounding counters. One woman at a neighboring counter was wearing a rhinestoned "Bride" tank top and had a tiara in her hair.




While the first artist I tried at Laura Mercier was talented, she didn't do onsite makeup and recommended her colleague Catrina. As Catrina worked, she told me about how she will only work with brides that are relaxed and aren't giving off a "stressed" vibe. She patiently worked with me, creating a look that I thought was a perfect balance between that old-school glamor and natural. I was really, really happy with the result. It was the look I wanted, and executed much better than I could do myself. What sealed the deal? A reasonable rate to boot.



I had also done my hair trial earlier that day (like my feathers?), so the look you're seeing is pretty darn close to my look for the big day.

Across the way, the princess bride was finishing her appointment when a passerby asked her if she was getting ready to go to the prom. Catrina whispered "I would never want to be mistaken for going to the prom on my wedding day!" And I knew she was the artist for me.

By the way, a big thanks to my good friend Laura Coburn for being my personal photojournalist documenting the process with these beautiful shots!

4 comments:

  1. Well, you must be giving off a relaxed vibe, which in the midst of everything is pretty incredible! The make up looks great! I'm only sorry you didn't snap a picture of the "other" bride. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely my favourite too! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just beautiful! love the hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so well. Your own natural beauty is now beautifully enhanced.Coupled with the inner glow of happiness on your wedding day, I reckon the whole world will radiate with the joy you exude!!

    ReplyDelete